Forums
Thrash Inc - TSi's Famous Generic Website!!! :: Forums :: Typical Bullshit :: Philosophy, Politics, and/or Religion

« Previous topic | Next topic »
1 of the 3 first orders of business - Obama draft order calls for closing Guantanamo Bay
Author Post
Thrash
Wed Jan 21 2009, 08:25pm Print
Better Smokin' Than Meth!
Thrash
Obama draft order calls for closing Guantanamo Bay (AP)
WASHINGTON – The new Obama administration circulated a draft executive order Wednesday that calls for closing the controversial detention center at Guantanamo Bay within a year and halting any war crimes trials in the meantime.
Closing the facility in Cuba "would further the national security and foreign policy interests of the United States and the interests of justice," read the draft prepared for the new president's signature.
While some of the detainees currently held at Guantanamo would be released, others would be transferred elsewhere and later put on trial under terms to be determined.
It was not known when Obama intended to issue the order. He has been a longtime critic of the Bush administration's decision to maintain the detention facility, which was opened after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
The Associated Press obtained a copy of the draft.
There are an estimated 245 detainees currently held at Guantanamo, out of some 800 who were sent there during the Bush administration.
The order circulated as the judge in one war crimes case agreed to Obama's request to suspend proceedings pending a 120-day review.
Army Col. Stephen Henley issued the ruling Wednesday after a brief hearing at the U.S. base in Cuba.
The defendants opposed the delay. All have said they want to plead guilty to charges that carry a potential death sentence.
It was not immediately clear whether the request to halt proceedings was designed as a precursor to a more extensive executive order.
The draft order calls for a systematic review of the cases of each of the detainees, to determine which among them can be released and which cannot.
"It is in the interests of the United States to review whether and how such individuals can and should be prosecuted," it says.
The facility at Guantanamo Bay has long been criticized by critics of the former Bush administration at home, as well as by other governments overseas, as a black eye for the United States. The administration established it early in the war on terror, contending that those held there were not entitled to the customary rights that prisoners in he United States enjoy, or to the protections of the Geneva Conventions that cover war prisoners.
The draft order notes that some of those held at the site have been there for more than six years, and most for at least four years.
The draft states that "the detention facilities at Guantanamo for individuals covered by this order shall be closed as soon as practicable, and no later than one year from the date of this order."
At the Pentagon, military leaders were preparing for the order that spokesman Bryan Whitman said would begin a "comprehensive review of policies and procedures related to detainee activities."
"The president has clearly made his intentions well known," Whitman said. "And he has taken the first steps with respect to his direction to order a pause to military commission proceedings."

[Click, Dick]

Hsc3901l
Hsc4695l
Rron248l

MissMeg
Thu Jan 22 2009, 05:57pm
MissMeg
Haha, I was going to post a link to this article this morning. I'm not going to lie, I think it's a good thing, our foreign policy was in a pretty dire need for a boost like this.

...but that's just me.
Thrash
Thu Jan 22 2009, 07:39pm
Thrash
I understand this part, however, it makes me wonder for a moment or two ...

The facility at Guantanamo Bay has long been criticized by critics of the former Bush administration at home, as well as by other governments overseas, as a black eye for the United States. The administration established it early in the war on terror, contending that those held there were not entitled to the customary rights that prisoners in he United States enjoy, or to the protections of the Geneva Conventions that cover war prisoners.

... what EXACTLY does it give "license" to do?
Zoomie
Fri Jan 23 2009, 12:02am
Lose the shoes, bitch
Zoomie
I'm sure we'll find out precisely what's been going on at Gitmo as soon as the gates are flung open. And then I see court convening in The Hague and indictments handed down.

I can dream.

This is assuming that they actually let them free.

Oh no, sorry Mr President. All but these two detainees in an irreversible coma died months ago from natural causes...
Emperor Reagan
Fri Jan 23 2009, 01:26pm
Citizen
Emperor Reagan
I wouldn't be surprised if Dick Cheney & his underlings can never leave the US again for fear of being snatched by some foreign government to stand trial for war crimes.
Zoomie
Fri Jan 23 2009, 10:36pm
Lose the shoes, bitch
Zoomie
God damn I hope so. If we can go into Yemen and snatch terrorists then Oman should be ASKED to come to the US and take that whole sorry sack of assholes someplace for a fair trial followed by a proper firing squad.
Thrash
Sat Jan 24 2009, 10:55pm
Thrash
Keep in mind that Cheney was indicted for prison racketeering ...
Mosh
Sun Jan 25 2009, 04:28am
Rape barn owner
Mosh
I'm wondering if Obama isnt the incarnation of the Antichrist...

He has ties to both Christianity and Islam, a middle name like Hussein is proof...
He is as smooth as silk when he talks, I bet he could talk the panties off just about any woman...
His term ends in 2012, isnt that when the apocalypse is supposed to begin?
He has plunged straight into the Israeli/Palestinian thing, isnt that meant to be the catalyst for the apocalypse?

I'm wondering if Balor isnt wrong on this one...
Emperor Reagan
Sun Jan 25 2009, 06:23am
Citizen
Emperor Reagan
Pssht. Obama is just going to fuck up on the middle east like all the other presidents.

Maybe they should just listen to Qadaffi, who has a much more reasonable opinion on the issue than that expressed by the members of the Obama foreign policy team. [Click, Dick]

Besides, doesn't the temple have to be rebuilt for the anti-Christ to defile it? They haven't even gotten started on the demolition necessary to rebuild it yet...
Mosh
Sun Jan 25 2009, 10:13am
Rape barn owner
Mosh
Qadaffi hit the nail on the head there... but its not as simple as it sounds... If you take Northern Ireland as an example, the different factions may not be openly warring, but not much has been resolved. Just go to the Ardoyne district to feel the tension... it's there.
Emperor Reagan
Sun Jan 25 2009, 05:17pm
Citizen
Emperor Reagan
Oh, certainly, it wouldn't be an easy move.

It just stands in sharp contrast to the insane, unworkable plans championed by the United States. And it comes from a man that is typically characterized as an insane demon by the US media, not a "thoughtful dimplomat" like our leaders naturally are.
Zoomie
Sun Jan 25 2009, 06:41pm
Lose the shoes, bitch
Zoomie
"Tension" is infinitely better than genocide.
Emperor Reagan
Mon Jan 26 2009, 04:43am
Citizen
Emperor Reagan
Too bad that what Obama has said about the conflict so far implies support for the continued genocide.

And he wants to expand the war in Afghanistan while he's at it - great, blow up more villagers. Noam Chomsky wrote a funny line in an essay recently where he basically said that the New York Times sounds an awful lot like 1980s Pravda on Afghanistan.

I think the best solution for the Middle East and Southern Asia is that the US, EU, and Russians not be allowed to do anything at all in the region.
Thrash
Mon Jan 26 2009, 06:16am
Thrash
Let them blow each other up and the survivors make their own colonies?

I like it ...
Zoomie
Mon Jan 26 2009, 10:27pm
Lose the shoes, bitch
Zoomie
At the very least stop supporting one murderous regime over another.
Emperor Reagan
Mon Jan 26 2009, 11:30pm
Citizen
Emperor Reagan
Yeah, that's more or less what I had in mind. With people imposing arbitrary borders on native populations, propping up corrupt regimes, and arming various groups for their own political ends, everything is going to stay fucked no matter who is in office or whose diplomats are doing the negotiating.

At least people might have a chance to sort things out without the constant meddling.
Thrash
Tue Jan 27 2009, 05:17am
Thrash
It's one thing to "liberate", it's another to "push 'em in (the right?) direction, and it's another to not just leave 'em the fuck alone to figure the rest out in peace (or whatever state they are in) ...

Go to: