Forums
Thrash Inc - TSi's Famous Generic Website!!! :: Forums :: Typical Bullshit :: Entertainment

« Previous topic | Next topic »
"Well everyone seems to love this show, so that means it's time to cancel it"
1 2 
Author Post
danzig
Sun Dec 21 2008, 08:37pm Print
Yes, you may has cheezburger.
danzig
That's apparently what the execs at every TV station must say to each other. You all fucking know what I mean and you all have seen AT LEAST one of those shows that sent you into the deepest, darkest depression when you found out it was canceled after one season. Or worse, canceled MID-season (oh man, that's some fucking despicable shit).

I remember seeing Undeclared when it came on and thinking that it was probably the only cool show on TV. Fortunately the genius behind that (and it's fellow canceled brethren, Freaks And Geeks), Judd Apatow, has gone on to make awesome movies. Probably the most heartbreaking cancellation for me was Stella, even though I knew deep down that it would be canceled because the humor was so out there, but that's what made it so great.

My favorite comedian hands down is Louis C.K. and he pulled off probably the only good sitcom ever to air, Lucky Louie, and with a live studio audience. Here is my favorite episode that aired, all on youtube:
[Click, Dick]
[Click, Dick]
[Click, Dick] Edited Sun Dec 21 2008, 08:38pm
danzig
Sun Dec 21 2008, 08:54pm
danzig
Oh, and that's pretty much how I talked to my ex. I don't sugar coat my shit. I mean, not all the time of course, but I definitely had the cunt fight.

But she really was being a cunt. Edited Sun Dec 21 2008, 09:04pm
Zoomie
Sun Dec 21 2008, 09:05pm
Lose the shoes, bitch
Zoomie
The only two good things about that show were Pamela Adlon and Jim Norton. Louis CK is weak as an actor, does only fair stand up but he is an excellent comedy writer.
danzig
Sun Dec 21 2008, 09:15pm
danzig
I agree that he is a weak actor, and the show definitely wasn't the greatest, but I enjoyed it enough cuz Louis C,K, was in it, Now as for his stand up, I think he is the funniest comedian by far, and there aren't many close seconds. I think the reason I find him so funny is because I can totally relate to how he thinks. When you watch a comedian you get a window into their thought process and obviously it's not going to be that funny if you don't think the same way. So my point is that I can respect you for not liking a certain comedian, but I'm curious what your favorite is.

[Click, Dick]

That comment about his daughter weighing a lot made me pretty much die laughing. Edited Sun Dec 21 2008, 09:28pm
Zoomie
Sun Dec 21 2008, 11:34pm
Lose the shoes, bitch
Zoomie
My humor is both a little more cerebral and socio-political. My favorite is Lewis Black. One of the funniest comics ever, he can act and write. His best routine (in my opinion):

[Click, Dick]
Edited Sun Dec 21 2008, 11:35pm
FAH-Q
Mon Dec 22 2008, 12:04am
FAH-Q
I think it was Louis CK who did a bit about putting his kid down to open the trunk of the car and not realizing that his kid was right in front of the exhaust pipe? Something like that, anyway - cracked me the fuck up. The show was alright, seemed a little forced, though. As for stand up, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and Eddie Murphy (in their prime) are hard to beat. Dave Chappelle's Killing Them Softly is another one I can watch over and over.
FAH-Q
Mon Dec 22 2008, 12:05am
FAH-Q
Oh and ditto on Lewis Black. He's fucking awesome.
FAH-Q
Mon Dec 22 2008, 12:06am
FAH-Q
OH! And Eddie fuckin' Izzard!!

"Ciao."
krapsna
Mon Dec 22 2008, 01:48am
krapsna
Nothing personal, but I think Lewis Black sucks.

Lucky Louie was entertaining, but my favorite cancelled too early show is Arrested Development.

That show was twisted.
danzig
Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:25am
danzig
Lewis Black can be hilarious, some of his stuff falls flat though. I loved his bit about the Starbucks on every corner, fucking hilarious.

Si: You're correct, that was Louis C.K. and it was hilarious. I'd have to totally disagree with you on Eddie Izzard though. Maybe it's because I'm American, but I find him to be completely unfunny.

Krsna: I only saw the first season of Arrested Development. It was very funny but not as funny as so many people make it out to be. I can see why it got canceled after, what was it, 3 seasons? I was probably the only one that wanted to see the kid give in to his urges and fuck the shit out of his cousin.
danzig
Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:31am
danzig
Oh, and for the record: I know it's all trendy to hate Dane Cook these days because of his immense popularity, but fuck that, he's one of my favorites also. He's popular for good reasons: He's fucking hilarious, and his humor appeals to the twenty-something crowd.

Guess what kids? We're going to Benson's Animal Farm. [Click, Dick] Edited Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:35am
Thrash
Mon Dec 22 2008, 05:44am
Better Smokin' Than Meth!
Thrash
I actually though "SKIN" was starting to be good when it was cancelled after 4 episodes ...
krapsna
Mon Dec 22 2008, 04:07pm
krapsna
If you think funny is some dude screaming for attention while he tells the lamest stories ever created then yes, Dane Cook is your man.

Just wondering, if all you watched was the first season of Arrested Development then how can you judge it?

Anyway, here are a couple of clips from it!

[Click, Dick]

[Click, Dick] Edited Mon Dec 22 2008, 07:31pm
danzig
Mon Dec 22 2008, 05:15pm
danzig
How can I judge it? I judged it based on the first season. The stupidity of that question is hurting my soul. I think watching the first season of most shows gives you a pretty damn good idea about what it is.

Can you, like, take that question back? It's like a fucking Yogi Berra quote.
FAH-Q
Mon Dec 22 2008, 07:30pm
FAH-Q
Denis Leary's a funny motherfucker too. And does anyone else dig Ron White?

And can we all agree that Dane Cook is probably the least funny dude to ever have a successful stand-up career?
krapsna
Mon Dec 22 2008, 07:37pm
krapsna
danzig wrote ...

How can I judge it? I judged it based on the first season. The stupidity of that question is hurting my soul.

By that logic I guess this season of Heroes is kick ass cause the first one was, right genius. Still Arrested Development's writing was pretty consistent for all three seasons and your assumption that the comedy would be the same for all three seasons was correct.

And for the record, Dane Cook is a complete fucking tool that should be wiped off the face of the earth.

He is not funny, he never WAS funny, and he'll never BE funny. Fortunately for him there are a lot of morans like yourself that are too mentally deficient to discern the difference between comedy and an asshole acting like a five year old.

Edited Mon Dec 22 2008, 07:39pm
FAH-Q
Mon Dec 22 2008, 07:37pm
FAH-Q
Oh, there was another page of this thread. Dane Cook was already covered, I see, and for some reason I'm not too surprised at who I agree and disagree with.

danzig wrote ...

How can I judge it? I judged it based on the first season. The stupidity of that question is hurting my soul. I think watching the first season of most shows gives you a pretty damn good idea about what it is.

Watch the first season of The Simpsons or STTNG or even Family Guy to some extent, and you'd say that they were pretty crappy shows. I've never watched Arrested Development so I have no idea if the same holds true, but maybe your soul doesn't need to hurt quite so much.
krapsna
Mon Dec 22 2008, 07:54pm
krapsna
Siko, all three seasons of Arrested Development are on Hulu.com.

It's a show I highly recommend.
Thrash
Mon Dec 22 2008, 08:57pm
Better Smokin' Than Meth!
Thrash
danzig wrote ...

Actually, from I Love Lucy, to The Muppet Show, to Seinfeld, etc ...
Most 1st seasons BLOW as they are just starting to really build the characters, situations, and where they want to go ...

I RARELY watch "season 1" of anything when I rent, say, a series DVD ...
FAH-Q
Mon Dec 22 2008, 10:07pm
FAH-Q
Hulu is only available to the US, unfortunately. I'll probably just order one of the seasons on dvd and give it a try.
1 2 

Go to: